Style Focus: Wearing the mid-season gilet

I am obsessed with the mid-season gilet. It’s one trend from this season that I loved from the moment it started appearing in sneak previews of the AW collections earlier in the summer.

Why do I love it so much? They’re just so versatile! Regardless of whether it’s work or play you’re donning your gilet for, you’re sure to be bang on trend.

However, while wearing a gilet can be totally easy and fuss-free, there are just a few things to bare in mind if you plan on embracing this trend:

• The gilet is a transitional piece! This means it’s perfect to wear it on a day where you need an extra bit of warmth, but you know a coat is going to be too much. Layer the gilet and follow the golden rule: wear the lightest fabric closest to your body and work outward. You’ll add bulk if you do it the other way around.
  • You need to think of your gilet like a coat and make sure that you go a size up when you’re buying it. Don’t forget we use these as layering pieces, so they’re no good to anyone if they’re really form-fitted.
  • The neckline of your gilet is super-important. If you have a short neck you need one that hasn’t got a collar or lapel. Swan-like neck? Then pop the collar or the lapel for that extra touch of omfph!
  • Don’t be afraid to experiment! There is a gilet for every occasion!

To help you get started on your hunt for the perfect style, I’ve picked some of my favorite gilets from the high-street for you to check out!

16 Comments

1. September 30, 2015 / 4:43 pm

I love my gilet but I”m not sure I could claim it’s as stylish as these. And despite what many people think, it’s snuggly and warm!

2. September 30, 2015 / 6:40 pm

I don’t think I have ever owned a gilet – they are a great transitional piece for the season though! I love the one with the faux fur collar x

3. September 30, 2015 / 7:33 pm

Gilets are an absolute favourite of mine too, the perfect go-to item for this time of year. Loving that River Island grey fur one xx

4. September 30, 2015 / 10:13 pm

I’ve seen them around before but had no idea that’s what they were called so i’ve learnt something new. The waterfall one is lovely

5. September 30, 2015 / 10:49 pm

That Zara one is amazing. Love gillets my favourite one is from new look, I’ve had it ages now I think about it !

6. September 30, 2015 / 10:49 pm

I like the Zara one. I’m more of a padded gilet girl for on the farm, although I do have one nice one from monsoon from year’s ago – bit small for me now!

7. October 1, 2015 / 6:09 am

You know I’ve never had one. I think I need convincing before I splash the cash, but I’m loving some of the ones you’ve picked out. I like the River Island fake fur collar and the ASOS ones particularly.

8. October 1, 2015 / 8:43 am

I love the mid-season gilets too. I’m yet to find one that isn’t too long. Going a size up is the key to finding the perfect one for me lol. I’m so short but a size up makes it a bit too long, I’m sure I’ll find one soon. I like the look of the Zara flowing gilet 🙂 So pretty!

9. October 1, 2015 / 10:07 am

this fall i really want to buy a gilliet. I’ve never had one and they all look so nice. I do love the Misguided waterfall on. Would love lovely dressed up or casual. x

10. October 1, 2015 / 10:13 am

Oh I remember wearing gilets when I was a late teen, they were all faux fur back then.I do prefer the Misguided shapes, the teal in particular.I need to go off shopping now!

11. October 1, 2015 / 1:44 pm

I bought my first gilet this year after being slightly envious of my toddler’s one. I got mine from Zara and love it, so easy and stylish to throw on before doing the pre-school drop off

12. October 1, 2015 / 3:23 pm

Love the misguided waterfall gilet! Gorgeous!! X

13. October 1, 2015 / 9:23 pm

Love love love the gilet trend for autumn winter season, i just bought a faux fur one last month and it is one of my favourites looks

14. October 2, 2015 / 6:20 am

Yep I also love my gilet. It’s just adds a little something to my outfit and also covers my big bum! X

15. October 2, 2015 / 11:23 am

I really like the pieces you’ve chosen. I like the different shape a gilet gives you and how versatile it is

16. October 2, 2015 / 4:24 pm

I do love a gilet and I’m so happy they’re back in fashion this season! I’ve also got a bit of a thing for all the faux fur too… I’m worried it’ll bring out the Bet Lynch in me!